Why Visit Salzburg? Three reasons…that travelers visit the authentic (UNESCO World Cultural Heritage) town of Salzburg: music, history and beer! Below are three lists to help you get to the heart of Salzburg.
Music and Performance
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born in Salzburg in 1756. The Mozart Birthplace (on the Getreidegasse) and The Mozart Residence (on Makartplatz) are both museums dedicated to the memory of Mozart. There are numerous concerts, festivals and guided tours. You can even get Mozart chocolates in the original silver & blue wrappers. There are many classical music festivals and concerts
- Mozart week Jan 23 – Feb 2, 2020
- Summer music festival Jul-Aug (vibrant atmosphere for visitors)
- Siemens music festival – which is free
- Concert “Piccolo-Konzerte” 14.05.2019
- Mozart piano matinee 14.05.2019
- Organ at Noon 14.05.2019
- Residence Concert 14.05.2019
- Mozart violin sonatas 14.05.2019
- Salzburg Classical Music Concerts 14.05.2019
- Chamber concert 14.05.2019
- Mirabell Palace Concerts 14.05.2019
- Best of Mozart Fortress Concert 14.05.2019
- Mozart piano matinee 15.05.2019
- The 2019 Whitsuntide Salzburg Festival: ” Celestial voices”
- The Salzburg Easter Festival founded in 1967 by Herbert von Karajan.
- Sommerszene 17 – 29 June, 2019 contemporary performance art, theater, dance, performance and installation
Other Salzburg Concerts
- Sound of Music tours – the movie was shot on location around Salzburg
- Advent in Salzburg Nov 29- Dec 15 small vocal ensembles and Alpine melodies
- Jazz & The City: Oct 7-20, the churches and wine bars opening their doors with free admission
- Salzburg Marionette theatre
- Celebration of Silent Night concert (originated in Salzburg)
- Christmas markets (which only sell locally made handcrafted goods), from the end of Nov to Dec. 2019
- St Rupert’s Fair – September 24th each year for 5 days
- Organ music concerts – see Salzburg website for dates and times
History and Culture
Salzburg is the Rome of the North with the largest collection of Baroque artifacts.
- The Hohensalzburg Fortress is the biggest fully preserved castle in central Europe
- Hellbrunn Palace has 400 year old trick fountains
- The Domquartier Salzburg, houses the inner city historical buildings
- Mirabell Palace was built in 1606 by prince-archbishop Wolf Dietrich
- Salzburg Cathedral has the baptismal font, the art work “Vanitas”, plus the chest containing relics of Saints Rupert and Virgil
- Red Bull Hangar 7, where you can see the Red Bull owner’s collection of racing cars and planes
- Traditional shopping
- Untersberg Mountain is only 20 mins from Salzburg. Take the cable car to the top of the mountain for stunning views.
There is a tremendous beer culture in Salzburg stretching back 600 years. Quality local beer is carefully produced and delivered to the local establishments. A list of traditional inns can be found below:
- Alchimiste Belge
- Outstanding beer expertise, enjoyable tastings and 150 of the world’s most famous, most decorated beers.
- 5020, Bergstraße 10, www.alchimiste-belge.at
- Braugasthof Sigl – Trumer Welt
- Regional dishes plus Austrian and international specialty beers
- 5162 Obertrum am See, Dorfplatz 1 www.braugasthof-sigl.at
- Die Weisse / Sudwerk
- A traditional brewery and inn.
- 5020, Rupertgasse www.dieweisse.at
- Friesachers Einkehr – Here, no one ever turns around at the door
- Extensive beer menu, specialty beers from different countries
- 5081 Anif, Hellbrunnerstraße 17 www.friesacher.com
- Fuxn – Salzburger Volkswirtschaft –a home away from home
- Traditional Austrian cooking and interesting beers: from Fuxnbier and Stiegl, to Budweiser and Tegernseer.
- 5020, Vogelweiderstraße 28 car park: Sterneckstraße 33 www.fuxn.at
- Beffa Bar, Belgiek
- A flagship of international beer culture. Belgian, British, American and other specialties
- 5020, Bergstraße 13 www.alchimiste-belge.at
- Braugasthof Hofbräu Kaltenhausen- Beer from their own brewery
- Established in 1475. The restaurant cooks with beer.
- 5400 Hallein, Salzburgerstraße 67 www.kaltenhausen.at
- 500-year brewing tradition
- 5020, Linzer Gasse 9 www.gablerbrau.at
- Raschhofer’s Rossbräu Herrnau
- Traditional brewery and THE beer garden in the south of town.
- 5020, Alpenstraße 48, www.raschhofer.at
- Established in 1542 as a Brewery and an inn.
- 5020, Griesgasse 23, www.sternbrau.com
Here are some of our trips to Salzburg: