The Rose Festival in Bulgaria Tour travels to the annual festival. Rose petals are picked once a year in the famous Valley of the Roses near Kazanlak. The area has been renowned for its Rose oil since the ancient Kingdom of Thrace ruled this region. This natural rose oil is very expensive and widely sought after in the perfume industry. Join the locals in the rose picking and take part in the colorful carnival procession. Enjoy a BBQ lunch and the traditional show. We start in Sofia, Bulgaria’s capital and one of the oldest cities in Europe. We will also visit 3 UNESCO Heritage listed sites: Rila Monastery, medieval Plovdiv and a replica of the Thracian Tomb.
- Join the local people for the rose-picking in the rose fields
- Take part in the colorful carnival procession in Karlovo
- See Sofia, Bulgaria’s capital city – one of the oldest in Europe
- Visit the UNESCO-listed Thracian Tomb replica in Kazanlak
- Tour the old town of Plovdiv with 19th century houses and Roman ruins
- Explore the UNESCO listed Rila monastery
2021 Departure: June 3 – 8
5 nights / 6 days
Day 1. Thu Jun 4 – Sofia (D)
Arrival at Sofia airport and transfer to the hotel. The rest of the day at your leisure. Tonight we have a Welcome dinner and overnight in Sofia.
Day 2. Fri Jun 5 – Sofia- Rila Monastery- Plovdiv (B)
After breakfast we take a panoramic tour around the Bulgarian capital and visit to the most interesting historical sights. These include the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, the St. Sofia Church, which gave the city its name is still historical and cultural center of the capital. Departure to the Rila monastery, founded in 10th c. It has been the biggest and most important Bulgarian spiritual center since the Middle Ages. The monastery has rich collection of icons, wall-paintings, and a 15, 0000 volume collection of old printed books. Guided tour around the monastery. It is in the UNESCO list of world heritage. Accommodation and overnight in Sofia.
Day 3. Sat Jun 6 – Plovdiv (B)
Depart for Plovdiv, one of the oldest cities in Europe dates back to the 4th century BC. It was called Philippopolis and named after King Philip II of Macedonia. Today Plovdiv is a cultural center of Bulgaria and selected as European Capital of Culture for 2019. After breakfast we will embark on a walking tour of the Old Town of Plovdiv impressive with the houses-museums of the Revival period, then visit Bachkovo monastery, one of many beautiful places in Rhodope Mountains. We are going to visit the monastery, see the church. Accommodation dinner and overnight in Plovdiv.
Day 4 Sun Jun 7 – Plovdiv – ROSE VALLEY – Veliko Tarnovo (B, D)
After breakfast we depart to Kazanlak, the capital of the rose valley. You can join the local people in the rose-picking (supplemental price below) in the rose plantations near Kazanlak. During a tour of an authentic rose distillery we learn about the production of rose oil (a sought after component in the perfume and cosmetics industry). This is followed by tasting of some rose oil products. Next, we visit the traditional town carnival in Kazanlak, to celebrate the Rose Festival. In the afternoon we tour a replica of the ancient Thracian Tomb, dating back to the 4th C. BC (UNESCO World Heritage site). Then we drive to Etara, a unique open air museum, reproducing the way of life of the Bulgarians in the 19th century. It is a great attraction for tourists, one of the most visited places in the country. Departure to Veliko Tarnovo for dinner and overnight.
Day 5 Mon Jun 8 – Veliko Tarnovo – Sofia (B)
After breakfast, we take a city tour of the old capital of Bulgaria, Veliko Tarnovo. Then visit the ruins of the historical Tsarevets Hill with a Fortress, on top. See the Patriarchal church and the Emperor Baldwin’s Tower. We will walk along the old trade street Samovodska charshia. Drive to Arbanassi village, famous for its ancient rich decorated churches and magnificent architecture. It used to be a residence of the Bulgarian kings. Departure to Sofia. Accommodation, dinner and overnight in Sofia.
Day 6 Tue Jun 9 – Sofia
After breakfast – free time. Transfer to the airport and flight back home.
2021 Prices Per Person in Euro:
- US$ rates will vary with the exchange rate
- For prices of more than 8 people contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accommodation in 4 star hotels
- Meals: 5 breakfasts, 3 dinners and 1 lunch
- A/C vehicle with driver. Van or minibus during the whole trip. Groups of less than 6 people will have a driver/ guide
- Rose picking and perfumery distillation demonstration in Kazanlak
- Seats at the Rose Festival Carnival (depending on availability)
- Admission to a private Rose Garden, Rose picking and a visit to the Rose Oil distillery
- Parking fees and road taxes
- All entrance tickets for the tour objects visited
- Professional English speaking licensed guide
- Porterage in the hotels
- Other meals than mentioned
- International Flights
4 Star Hotels (or Similar):
- Sofia – Premier Thracia
- Plovdiv – Aliance
- Veliko Tarnovo – Grand Hotel Yantra
Book This Tour with Blue Danube Holidays.