The Highlights of Bulgaria 6 day guided vacation takes you to see Sofia, Veliko Tarnovo, Kazanlak, Plovdiv, Rila Monastery and Sofia.
- Accommodation in tourist class hotels
- Bulgaria’s capital city Sofia – one of the oldest cities in Europe
- Veliko Tarnovo castle on the top of Tsarevets Hill
- Replica of the UNESCO listed Thracian Tomb in Kazanlak
- Old town of Plovdiv, 19th century houses and Roman ruins, including a Roman Theater
- Etara open-air museum, preserved ancient crafts methods still used nowadays
- UNESCO listed Rila monastery – the biggest Bulgarian spiritual center
Day 1 – Sofia
Arrival to Sofia. Transfer from the airport and accommodation at centrally located hotel in Sofia.
Day 2 – Sofia – Veliko Tarnovo (B)
After breakfast – meet your tour guide for panoramic tour around the Bulgarian capital (an 8500 years old city!) and visit to the most interesting historical sights: the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, the St. Sofia Church, which had given the name of the city, and the historical and cultural center of the capital.
Departure to Veliko Tarnovo – the capital of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom. Free time for orientation tour around the city. Accommodation and overnight in Veliko Tarnovo.
Day 3 – Veliko Tarnovo – Etara – Kazanluk (B)
After breakfast – panoramic tour of Veliko Tarnovo with visit to the historical hill Tsarevets with the Fortress, the Patriarchal church and the Emperor Baldwin’s Tower. You will also have a walk along the old Trade Street – “Samovodska Charshia”. Departure to Etara – an unique open-air museum, recreating the way of life of the Bulgarians in the 19th century. It is a great attraction for tourists, one of the most visited places in the country.
Set off to Kazanlak – the capital of the Rose valley. Visit the Historical Museum, which houses collection of bronze and gold treasures and the replica of Thracian Kazanlak Tomb as well, dating back to the 4th century B.C. It is listed in the world natural and historical heritage of UNESCO. Accommodation and overnight in Kazanlak.
Day 4 – Kazanluk – Plovdiv (B)
After breakfast – we continue exploring the Valley of the roses with visit of Skobelevo village. Here is located the Ethnographical Complex “Damascene”, which works also as a family-run rose oil distillery from more than 20 years. The hosts will show you how the famous Bulgarian rose oil (used in the perfumery) is produced. Departure to Plovdiv – the “City of the seven hills’’. Plovdiv is the oldest city in Europe still existing today. It was called Philippopolis in the IV century B.C. in honor of King Philip II of Macedonia. Plovdiv was selected as European Capital of Culture for 2019.
Walking tour of the Old Town of Plovdiv, impressive with the houses-museums of the Revival period like the Ethnographical museum; the Ancient Theater, the Fortress walls, the oldest church in the city – “St. St. Constantine and Helena”, etc. We will see the Muslim temple Dzhoumaya Mosque and the Roman Stadium on the main street of Plovdiv. Optional: wine tasting in the boutique wine-cellar “Todoroff”, near to the village of Brestovica, where a red wine of high quality is produced. Accommodation and overnight in Plovdiv – hotel Expo 3* or similar.
Day 5 – Plovdiv – Rila Monastery – Sofia (B)
After breakfast – take off to the Rila monastery. Founded in 10th c., it was the biggest Bulgarian medieval spiritual center with rich collection of icons, wall-paintings, old-printed books – some 15 000 volumes. Guided tour around the monastery. The monastery is an UNESCO – monument and it is situated in the highest mountain on the Balkans – Rila Mountain, with its top peak “Moussala” at 2925 m. In the afternoon – return to Sofia for accommodation and overnight.
Day 6 – Sofia (B)
After breakfast – free time. Transfer to the airport and flight back home.
- Sofia – St. George 3*
- Veliko Tarnovo – Tarnava 3*
- Kazanluk – Palace 3*
- Plovdiv – Expo 3*
- Similar quality hotels will be used if they are occupied
- Price per person in Euro
- The USD price will vary with the exchange rate
Book this Tour with Blue Danube Holidays
Private Guide Tours
- Departures any date
- Group tour prices available Contact Us
- Accommodation for 5 nights in hotels 3* on BB (Bed & Breakfast) base.
- 5 meals: 5 buffet breakfast at the hotels
- Throughout transportation by a comfortable car, van or minibus. for groups up to 6 passengers, the guide is also a driver
- Parking fees and road taxes.
- All entrance fees for the museums, sites and churches.
- Professional English speaking guide for touring days and English speaking assistant for airport transfers
- Porterage in the hotels.
- Other meals than mentioned.
- Flight tickets to Bulgaria
- Half board (dinner) supplement – € 18 per person per day
- Dinner with folklore show in Sofia – € 44 per person
- Wine tasting in wine-cellar “Todoroff” – € 19 per person
Other Tours of Bulgaria:
- Rose Festival in Bulgaria EU204 – 6 days during the famous Rose festival when the petals for rose oil are picked
- The Bulgarian Lavender Festival EU209 – 6 Days of the popular attractions including the Lavender Festival
- Rose Fields and Monasteries EU203 – 7 days of the most popular Bulgarian attractions and the Rose Festival
- Circle Tour EU1001 – 8 days Sofia to Tarnovo Visit the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Rila Monastery, Plovdiv and the Valley of the Roses
- The Treasures of Bulgaria EU205 – 8 days from Sofia to veliko Tarnovo, Troyan, Valley of the Roses, Plovdiv, Backoro, Rila
- Bulgaria Tourism off the Beaten Path EU208 – 8 day Private Tour of Sofia, Rila, Bansko, Rhodopes, Kostandovo, Plovdiv, Roses, Taja,
- Bulgaria and Romania EU206 – 9 days – Sofia, Rila Monastery, Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo, Sibiu, Sighisoara, Bran, Brasov, Bucharest
- Best of Bulgaria EU207 – 10 days small group (max. 10 people), guided tour that presents the best of nature and heritage of Bulgaria
- The Grand Tour EU1002 – 10 days from Sofia focusing on culture and nature
Here is a link to the Tourist Authority to inspire you!