Discover the Balkans Tour travel to Albania’s unspoiled coastline which was recently opened to the West. Visit Shkodra, the center of the Illyrian Kingdom, and Tirana the capital of Albania. We continue on to Lake Ohrid which is nestled in the gorgeous Macedonian mountains. Next we visit Skopje, the birthplace of Mother Teresa. We end our tour in the historic and beautiful city of Dubrovnik.
13 day tour to Zagreb, Bled, Ljubljana, Plitvice, Trogir, Split, Mostar, Dubrovnik, Budva, Shkodra, Tirana, Ohrid, Skopje, Kolašin, Cetinje, Kotor and back to Dubrovnik
2021 Departs: May 4, 25, June 15, July 6, 27, Aug 17, Sept 7, 21.
Day 1 Tuesday ZAGREB – Arrival
You will be greeted at Zagreb Airport, and transferred to your hotel for dinner and overnight.
Day 2 Wednesday ZAGREB – BLED – LJUBLJANA
In the morning we take a tour of Zagreb, Croatia’s capital. You will see the historic center with St. Mark’s Church, the National Theatre & University. Free time to explore on your own. In the afternoon we depart via Bled Lake to Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, for dinner and overnight.
Day 3 Thursday LJUBLJANA – PLITVICE
Today a tour of Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia and home to one of the oldest Philharmonic orchestras in the world. Explore the baroque town buildings and stroll beside the majestic Ljubljana river. In the afternoon we depart for the UNESCO listed Plitvice Lakes National Park. Sixteen lakes, each at a different level, are connected in a series of cascading waterfalls and surrounded by dense woods. Plitvice Lakes are a natural phenomenon of rare and unique beauty. Dinner and overnight in Plitvice.
Day 4 Friday PLITVICE – TROGIR- SPLIT
Morning tour of Plitvice Lakes National Park. Afterwards we depart for Trogir, a lovely historic Dalmatian town dating back to Greek-Roman times. The old town center, a UNESCO World Heritage site is located on an island that is connected to the mainland by a bridge. Here we will visit the Cathedral of St Lawrence. Continue to Split a major resort town with excellent views and buildings dating back to the Romans. To begin the city tour we visit Diocletian’s Palace (UNESCO listed) with its Peristyle or porch surrounding the palace. We also see Jupiter’s Temple and the Cathedral. Dinner and overnight in Split.
Day 5 Saturday SPLIT – MOSTAR – DUBROVNIK
After breakfast we depart for Dubrovnik, with its stunning views, clear waters and lovely old town of red roofs protected by Venetian fortifications. En route we stop at Mostar, famous for the 16th century bridge that connect two parts of the town. We also tour the Old Bazaar and marvel at the Turkish style houses. Dinner and overnight in Dubrovnik.
Day 6 Sunday DUBROVNIK
Today is a day for your own activities. Take a leisurely cruise from the pier, stroll around the medieval streets or enjoy the crystal clear waters on the beach. Dinner and overnight in Dubrovnik.
Day 7 Monday DUBROVNIK – BUDVA – SHKODRA – TIRANA
Today we a tour of Dubrovnik (UNESCO listed) and visit the Franciscan Monastery with Europe’s third oldest pharmacy, the Rector’s Palace and the Cathedral. Next we depart for the capital of of Albania, Tirana. We drive inland to Budva on the coast of Montenegro known for its charming old city encircled by walls from the Venetian period. Continuation to Shkodra, once the capital of the Illyrian Kingdom (3rd century B.C.). Dinner and overnight in Tirana.
Day 8 Tuesday TIRANA – OHRID
This morning we tour Tirana, the capital of Albania, including the square named after Skender Bey, who led the rebellion against the Turks in the 15th century. Next we see the Mosque of Ethem Bey and visit the National Museum. In the afternoon we depart for Ohrid, via Elbasan and we cross the Macedonian border at Cafasan. Overnight in Ohrid on the shores of picturesque Lake Ohrid. Dinner and overnight in Ohrid.
Day 9 Wednesday OHRID
Enjoy a full day at the lakeside resort of Ohrid (UNESCO listed). This mornings sightseeing includes the Ohrid Literary School, the first Slavic University in Europe and the 11th century Church of St. Sofia. This is the most eminent medieval monument in Macedonia with magnificent Byzantine fresco paintings. After a short drive we tour the St. Naum Monastery, built on the shores of Ohrid Lake in 900 A.D. Dinner in a local restaurant and overnight in Ohrid.
Day 10 Thursday OHRID – SKOPJE
Today we visit Skopje, the birthplace of Mother Teresa. Tour the Kale Fortress, the Church of the Holy Savior with its icons, the Old Bazaar and the Stone Bridge. Next we drive along the slopes of the Vodno Mountain where we visit the Monastery of St Panteleimon with its 12th century iconostasis and frescoes, considered a prelude to Renaissance art by art historians. Dinner and overnight in Skopje.
Day 11 Friday SKOPJE – KOLAŠIN
Drive through Peć and Berane along the impressive Morača River Canyon. This afternoon we arrive at Kolašin, on the left bank of the river Tara, at an altitude of 954 meters. The whole area is surrounded by the thick pine forest of the Bjelasica Mountain and is a popular skiing and spa resort. Dinner and overnight in Kolašin.
Day 12 Saturday KOLAŠIN – CETINJE – KOTOR – DUBROVNIK
We depart for Cetinje, Montenegro’s historic capital. Here we visit the King Nikola I Petrović Museum, who was once the residence a progressive King of Montenegro. Continue to Kotor, (UNESCO listed) a coastal town in Montenegro, famous for its spectacular fjord-like setting and fortifications. Here we tour its Romanesque Cathedral dedicated to St. Triphon. We continue to Dubrovnik driving along the picturesque Bay of Kotor. Dinner and overnight in Dubrovnik.
Day 13 Sunday DUBROVNIK
Breakfast is followed by transfer to Dubrovnik Airport and farewell to fellow travellers and guides.
The Discover The Balkans Tour EU402 includes:
- Arrival transfer from Zagreb Airport to hotel and departure transfer from hotel to Dubrovnik Airport on first & last days of tour.
- Accommodation in 4* hotels except Dubrovnik which is 3 star
- Breakfast and dinner included
- Local guides for sightseeing tours of Zagreb, Ljubljana, Split, Dubrovnik, Tirana, Ohrid, Skopje and Kotor
- Modern air-conditioned motor coach transportation
- Services of bilingual tour escort (English and Spanish)
- Entrance fees to:
- Bled Castle, the Plitvice Lakes National Park
- St Lawrence Cathedral in Trogir
- Diocletian’s Palace and St Ducimus
- Cathedral in Split
- Franciscan Monastery and Rector’s Palace in Dubrovnik
- National Museum in Tirana, St. Sophia, St. Clement and St. Naum in Ohrid
- Church of Holy Savior and Monastery of St Panteleimon in Skopje
- Residence of King Nikola I Petrović in Cetinje; St.
- Tryphon Cathedral in Kotor
2021 Prices Per Person in Euro:
May 4, 25, Jun 15. Euro 1765
July 6, 27, Aug 17, Sept 7, 21. Euro 1840
Single Supplement Euro 450
(USD will vary with the exchange rate)
- Zagreb: International 4*
- Ljubljana / Bled: Kompas 4*
- Plitvice: Park 4*
- Split: President 4*
- Dubrovnik: Ivka 3*
- Tirana: Sky Tower 4*
- Ohrid: Metropol 4*
- Skopje: Karpos 4*
- Kolašin: Bianca 4*
Here are all our Adriatic Tours to consider:
- Highlights of Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia EU408 – 8 days to visit: Dubrovnik, Sarajevo, Belgrade, Zagreb, Plitvice and Split
- Treasures of Croatia EU407 – 5 days tour of Zagreb, Plitvice, Split, Dubrovnik
- Adriatic Highlights EU405 – 8 days departing from Dubrovnik to Zagreb
- Croatia Circle Tour EU403 – 9 days to Zagreb, Plitvice, Split, Dubrovnik, Trogir, Zadar, Zagreb
- Beauties of the Balkans Tour EU409 – 8 days to Montenegro, Albania Macedonia departure from Dubrovnik
- Balkan Grand Tour EU402 – 12 days A Balkan discovery tour to Montenegro Albania. Macedonia from Zagreb Croatia
- Adriatic Island Cruise and Croatian Land Tour EU404 – 12 days Adriatic Island Cruise & Croatian Land Tour
- 14 Day Tour and Cruise to Croatia & Bosnia EU410 – 14 days 7 day guided tour combined with a 7 day cruise.